Laparoscopic splenectomy is keyhole surgery to remove all or a part of your spleen. The spleen is a bean-shaped organ found under the ribs on the left upper side of the stomach.
When Splenectomy is advised?
- Spleen is damaged by blood diseases, infections, or injury
- Cysts (sacs filled with fluids) and tumors may also damage your spleen and stop the production of new lymphocytes.
When the spleen is damaged, it swells and blocks the flow of blood in your abdomen. Laparoscopic Surgery of spleen or Splenectomy helps to normalize the flow of blood & to stop the destruction of blood cells. One has to go for this surgery, before the condition gets worse or when symptoms appear.
In case, the damage to the spleen is too much or the spleen is too big, open splenectomy may be advised by the doctor. With surgery, the symptoms may be relieved and further damage to other organs prevented.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Splenectomy?
- Less pain after the operation
- Quicker stay in hospital
- Faster return to a regular diet
- Faster return to a normal routine