What is Anal Fissure?
Anal fissure is a small crack or tear in the lining of the anus.
What are the symptoms of an Anal fissure?
- Visible tear in the skin
- Skin tag, next to the tear
- Sharp pain in the anal area
- Streaks of blood on stools
What causes an anal fissure?
- Chronic diarrhoea
- Straining during childbirth
- Decreased blood flow to the anorectal area
- Overly tight or spastic anal sphincter muscles
What is the treatment of anal fissure?
- By taking fiber and supplements
- Use stool softeners
- Warm baths (Sitz baths) to relax the anal muscles, increase blood flow to the anorectal area
- Apply nitroglycerin ointment
- Sugery- Lateral sphincterotomy